STYLE winter boots - waterproof, warmish, decent looking

kwhitelaw

OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2004
virginia
Yo @kwhitelaw do you have a DC area cobbler you recommend? Preferably in DC proper

my wolverine 1ks are due, I’d like to slap a commando/lugged sole on them

hmm maybe skyvalet? Owner is/was brothers with Aram at AH One but he closed his Springfield shop and only does mail away cobbling last I had read.

no clue if skyvalet does in house work but they should point you in a good direction.

since aram closed up, I tried Bedos out of falls church.. nice guy, kinda expensive and long lead times for a Small job (I left my main indys for like 6 weeks to do just heels, but I wasn't in a rush and wanted to try him out)

Reactions: Lethal

Lethal

OT Supporter
Sep 6, 2003
hmm maybe skyvalet? Owner is/was brothers with Aram at AH One but he closed his Springfield shop and only does mail away cobbling last I had read.

no clue if skyvalet does in house work but they should point you in a good direction.

since aram closed up, I tried Bedos out of falls church.. nice guy, kinda expensive and long lead times for a Small job (I left my main indys for like 6 weeks to do just heels, but I wasn't in a rush and wanted to try him out)
Will do some research, thx

Lethal

OT Supporter
Sep 6, 2003
Can’t wait for spring to break out the suede Alden LHS again

kinda craving a new pair of Alden something.. Work is crazy now, but might pop by the Alden shop here in DC in a month or so to treat myself

El Slotho

Quirked up white boy goated with the sauce
Sep 13, 2001
Wine Country
http://www.aldenshoedc.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=106&ParentID=94&PageID=&Action=

Get your size in the Barrie last and then order these instead:

https://aldenmadison.com/collection/antique-chukka-bootcolor-8-shelld5706c/

D57060C.jpg

990C_2.jpg

Antique edge on commando sole :naughty:

I've been wearing my 975 a lot more recently. They also have both and I can't get enough of them. :bigthumb:

tm3LxGt.jpg

Lethal

OT Supporter
Sep 6, 2003

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
what do you guys do when the shoe tree scent goes away? the guy at the shoe store told me to lightly sand them until the scent comes back, but others say don't bother with that....

Lit Wick87

This wave of guilt is drowning me
OT Supporter
what do you guys do when the shoe tree scent goes away? the guy at the shoe store told me to lightly sand them until the scent comes back, but others say don't bother with that....
I’ve never even thought about this. Interesting topic of conversation for sure though. I’d figure since you’re using the tree to dry out and stretch the shoe back out the scent was just a nice bonus.

firemunki

I am the patron saint of lost causes
Aug 23, 2001
Scottsdale
I’ve never even thought about this. Interesting topic of conversation for sure though. I’d figure since you’re using the tree to dry out and stretch the shoe back out the scent was just a nice bonus.

same, never really thought about trying to prolong the scent and just expected that my closet would stop smelling like a cedar tree mill after a few weeks of a new shoe tree shipment

firemunki

I am the patron saint of lost causes
Aug 23, 2001
Scottsdale

missed it -- thanks for heads up regardless :o

gonna stop by alden sf to look at wedding shoes

navy suit, gray vest

thinking probably a walnut or something similar

i have AE cliftons that need some love that i could use

but this is calling me

https://www.theshoemart.com/alden-shoes-mens-straight-tip-bal-9062-tan-calfskin/

If you don't recall, I love cliftons as a super versatile "dress" shoe -- they are like my favorite. That alden you linked is nice, and if that is what you are feeling, then just run with it. I would likely choose something with more broguing for a more casual wedding attire, but this is just preference. Keep in mind that 1) i've never been married and 2) i have basically zero style

Reactions: beddachedda

beddachedda

life is uncertain. don't sip.
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
missed it -- thanks for heads up regardless :o

If you don't recall, I love cliftons as a super versatile "dress" shoe -- they are like my favorite. That alden you linked is nice, and if that is what you are feeling, then just run with it. I would likely choose something with more broguing for a more casual wedding attire, but this is just preference. Keep in mind that 1) i've never been married and 2) i have basically zero style
lol

i think i'm gonna do some maintenance on the cliftons to see how they'll clean up first tbh, since they desperately need some TLC

Reactions: firemunki

beddachedda

OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
anyone recommend a leather cleaner? have VSC for conditioning but they've got some scuffies

El Slotho

Sep 13, 2001
Wine Country
I keep this on hand for non-shell recon:

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoe-c...24.html?dwvar_SF1015024_color=1015024#start=1

OkrsSJel.png

If I can't get a scuff out with friction and a wet thumb, some of this on a microfiber usually diminishes the mark enough to be almost completely gone once followed up with the appropriate polish.

Didn't you bro-loan those out for them to return trashed at one point? Make him buy you these:

https://shop.mitchellstores.com/products/833894-santoni-dress

AkWAQEcl.png

= kill with a navy suit.

beddachedda

OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
I keep this on hand for non-shell recon:

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoe-c...24.html?dwvar_SF1015024_color=1015024#start=1

OkrsSJel.png

If I can't get a scuff out with friction and a wet thumb, some of this on a microfiber usually diminishes the mark enough to be almost completely gone once followed up with the appropriate polish.

Didn't you bro-loan those out for them to return trashed at one point? Make him buy you these:

https://shop.mitchellstores.com/products/833894-santoni-dress

AkWAQEcl.png

= kill with a navy suit.
holy shit you're right :rofl: he did fuck them up :rofl: even i forgot about that shit

El Slotho

Sep 13, 2001
Wine Country
Forgot all about the MMM bullshit and went to check the website to see if perhaps they'd changed their ship date promise from the end of December 2019. Sure enough:

QI7N6G9.png

Can't wait to see it change again in a month. :rofl:

WNK41ed.jpg

:wtc:

beddachedda

OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
gave the AEs some love and they look WORLDS better, but still have some water spots. i think they're light enough that they should be ok, but might give another buff session next weekend

while i was at it gave the indys and rancourts some love too

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448