GUN Wolf .223, is it really that bad?

Market Garden

There is nothing wrong with Wolf ammo for general plinking. It's not going to give you match grade accuracy, and it's dirtier than other ammo, but there's no reason not to use it for plinking.

GPK

Groovy
Apr 18, 2007
ATX
I've ran a couple of thousand rounds through my AR and not had a problem. I wouldn't recommend it for anything else but range use however.

phrozenlikwid

Jul 13, 2007
NKY
I find it ironic that Wolf gets such a crazy reputation for it's ammo (which I shoot the fuck out of, and enjoy), but people have no problem buying 1950's era surplus shit, to run through their 80yr old beat to fuck surplus rifles.

Just a strange paradox to me.

thebox

Feb 22, 2005
Seattle
I find it ironic that Wolf gets such a crazy reputation for it's ammo (which I shoot the fuck out of, and enjoy), but people have no problem buying 1950's era surplus shit, to run through their 80yr old beat to fuck surplus rifles.

Just a strange paradox to me.
roflwerd.gif

thegooch

Jan 5, 2008
Anyone know of the cheapest place to buy bulk wolf 223 that will ship to someone under 21? AIM surplus is the cheapest I could find, but they won't ship rifle ammo to anyone under 21 :wtf:

Ain't nobody gonna ship it to someone under 21.

Market Garden

This is amazing, not a single anti-wolf comment yet. I thought everyone here shot nothing but Black Hills Sierra Match King loads.

MAD PUNK inDC

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Mar 16, 2000
the machine
This is amazing, not a single anti-wolf comment yet. I thought everyone here shot nothing but Black Hills Sierra Match King loads.

I'll throw one in. The steel case can cause premature wear and lead to extraction problems in the AR 15. It's not bad ammo though, I run it through the AK all the time and never had a problem. You just need to be careful with some guns.

Market Garden

I'll throw one in. The steel case can cause premature wear and lead to extraction problems in the AR 15. It's not bad ammo though, I run it through the AK all the time and never had a problem. You just need to be careful with some guns.
Premature wear in what way?

SlowTA367

Sep 17, 2006
TX

No shit, I've never used wolf because everybody talks so much shit about it. I think I may go ahead and pick some up :noes:

Willie J

Jul 16, 2005
the alamo
i've shot wolf for 8 years no problem. Two of my friends had problems with it in their ARs. the throat expanded in the chamber and siezed the gun

Market Garden

i've shot wolf for 8 years no problem. Two of my friends had problems with it in their ARs. the throat expanded in the chamber and siezed the gun

Wat? The throat is part of the barrel. Are you talking about the case neck?

Market Garden

yea, i was referring to where the case is necked/ throated down for the projectile

Case necks always expand like that, that's perfectly normal. Benchrest guys will fireform their cases so they expand to the dimensions of the chamber. Most complaints about Wolf cases are that the steel won't expand properly to seal the gas pressure. I find it hard to believe that your friends' cases not only expanded further than anybody reports steel cases expanding, but they expanded with such force that they actually seized the rifle. I bet something else went wrong.

amill94

OT ELITE iirc
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
someone buy my wolf

:rofl:

I've got 515rds of it left. I bought a bunch and it ran alright, but then I started to have cycling problems and a case jammed in the chamber and I had to take the gun apart to get the case out.

515rds I'll sell for cheap. Let me know.

Market Garden

:rofl:

I've got 515rds of it left. I bought a bunch and it ran alright, but then I started to have cycling problems and a case jammed in the chamber and I had to take the gun apart to get the case out.

515rds I'll sell for cheap. Let me know.

Is it the polymer cased stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor