Woodburning Stove Crew: What are you burning this morning?

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
-32 degrees this morning, working from home and no intention of setting foot outside.

Just starting a cord of dead pine I bucked and split last weekend, and it burns fast but it burns nice and bright. It's supposed to be this cold for the rest of the week so I'm glad I stocked up. There's another cord or so outside unsplit but dead and dry @ ~10-15% humidity

Have got 6 cords of Poplar that I bucked and split from across my parents place (Hydro was kncking down some trees) that I'll be able to burn next season.

Hoping to come across a couple of old dead standing oak at some point, but it's in high demand lately.

Anyway, not sure if this crew even exists on OT besides maybe @borazhasleftthebuilding

Newt

OT Supporter
Sep 11, 2003
NVloc - 514.QC
Birch mostly. Previous owner left a pile in the carport so I've been going through that. Not sure what to do for next season since harvesting isn't an option. Will look through the local suppliers and see what's best.

wildflower

OT Supporter
May 17, 2002
No place for older men
I had a fireplace in my last house, and I'd get a cord of wood every season and start a fire at the drop of a hat.
Sitting in front of a nice fire is at least as enjoyable as watching television.
So California is clamping down, though. New houses don't get fireplaces.

• Sad
Reactions: lawnboy
TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
I had a fireplace in my last house, and I'd get a cord of wood every season and start a fire at the drop of a hat.
Sitting in front of a nice fire is at least as enjoyable as watching television.
So California is clamping down, though. New houses don't get fireplaces.
I've read reports out of the UK that stress how bad for you wood burning stoves are :rofl:

Oh well, I'll die at 95 rather than 100 now I guess.

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
Birch mostly. Previous owner left a pile in the carport so I've been going through that. Not sure what to do for next season since harvesting isn't an option. Will look through the local suppliers and see what's best.
Birch is nice. We may buy 15 cords of it from a guy who sells them for $150 per cord, but it's green and in logs. Not a big deal to split and stack in the summer, but it's still a lot of work. Cheapest way to get wood if you're not harvesting it yourself.

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
90% fir....splits better than pine/spruce
some birch, pita to split but burns longer
ill take free poplar, its hot and fast, shitload of ash though, wont buy it though

3-4c a year, ~$500 delivered and split, we split it half of it again, to smaller pieces for stuffing the stove better

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
90% fir....splits better than pine/spruce
some birch, pita to split but burns longer
ill take free poplar, its hot and fast, shitload of ash though, wont buy it though

3-4c a year, ~$500 delivered and split, we split it half of it again, to smaller pieces for stuffing the stove better
I have a mid sized Fiskars hatchet that i use for about 1/4 of the stuff that needs to be split before adding to the stove. My wife doesn't like manhandling the bigger pieces, and our stove isn't immense so I try to keep everything to 16" and not much more than 6-7inches thick if I can help it.

What's the problem with splitting birch? Stringy? We had some dead elm that we split and it was stringy AF. Super annoying.

Newt

OT Supporter
Sep 11, 2003
NVloc - 514.QC
Birch is nice. We may buy 15 cords of it from a guy who sells them for $150 per cord, but it's green and in logs. Not a big deal to split and stack in the summer, but it's still a lot of work. Cheapest way to get wood if you're not harvesting it yourself.
I can get a dried cord for ~145 that's mostly maple. Will probably end up doing that. I don't run the stove full time since we have a heat pump but it's nice to have for weekends and deep freezes.

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
I can get a dried cord for ~145 that's mostly maple. Will probably end up doing that. I don't run the stove full time since we have a heat pump but it's nice to have for weekends and deep freezes.
Split? That's a great price. We get hosed out here. It's probably better to buy in the summer than the fall when everyone else is though.

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
We've been harvesting a ton from out behind my Grandparent's place, but it's all mainly pine and spruce. Burns nice and bright, but real fast and you go through a garage full of it pretty quickly.

Newt

OT Supporter
Sep 11, 2003
NVloc - 514.QC
Split? That's a great price. We get hosed out here. It's probably better to buy in the summer than the fall when everyone else is though.
Not sure of split to be honest. Bonus if it is though. They'll even stack it for $25/cord, which is great because I'm lazy.

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
Not sure of split to be honest. Bonus if it is though. They'll even stack it for $25/cord, which is great because I'm lazy.
I get a great amount of pleasure from knocking trees down and hauling them out of the woods with the sled and a trailboggan. It's such a pure, honest work and it's great exercise too. I mean, we almost dropped a tree on the sled last year but other than that it was without incident.

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
I have a mid sized Fiskars hatchet that i use for about 1/4 of the stuff that needs to be split before adding to the stove. My wife doesn't like manhandling the bigger pieces, and our stove isn't immense so I try to keep everything to 16" and not much more than 6-7inches thick if I can help it.

What's the problem with splitting birch? Stringy? We had some dead elm that we split and it was stringy AF. Super annoying.
Yep birch and spruce are stringy af, pine CAN be, fir is the best splitting wood ever, and she burns hot
Bitch takes 2x as long to dry out as well

We are a good cord less used than last year YTD

We have next year's wood piled unsplit, this year I wanna get the following years split and stacked and have that cushion

Wife uses electric splitter, she takes care of it all

Still another couple years of free pine around, from beetles, gonna buy a trailer this year and do some myself, just SOME it's easier to work my normal job and pay someone to do the hard work, but I've got 5yrs of wood in my yard of trees I should take down so, money in the bank

Newt

OT Supporter
Sep 11, 2003
NVloc - 514.QC
I get a great amount of pleasure from knocking trees down and hauling them out of the woods with the sled and a trailboggan. It's such a pure, honest work and it's great exercise too. I mean, we almost dropped a tree on the sled last year but other than that it was without incident.
Harvesting is amazingly fulfilling. Packing wood from the curb to the carport... Meh.

lawnboy

Can I get uhhhh
May 5, 2000
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm Building a house in an area without gas service, so i wanted a chimney to put a woodburner in the basement. They looked at me like a ihad three heads- It's just THAT uncommon to build chimneys in modern energy efficient homes :hs:

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
Ash and Cherry mostly. Thought you aren’t supposed to burn pine due to the tar?
Everyone says that, but if it's seasoned properly it's not going to hurt you. You're going to probably add as much creosote to your chimney burning anything that's not dry enough as you will Pine.

Marty

Won Ton Animal Chin is Missing
May 23, 2000
have you seen him?
Everyone says that, but if it's seasoned properly it's not going to hurt you. You're going to probably add as much creosote to your chimney burning anything that's not dry enough as you will Pine.
Cool. Yeah use pine for my outdoor fire pit and there’s so much ash coming down here that i just burn that. And ash splits like butter

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
I'm Building a house in an area without gas service, so i wanted a chimney to put a woodburner in the basement. They looked at me like a ihad three heads- It's just THAT uncommon to build chimneys in modern energy efficient homes :hs:
These new wood burning stoves are hyper efficient too. Like, we cut back our energy use in the winter by 80% with this stove. The furnace literally never turns on until we go to bed and the house eventually cools off. If we're burning oak in the evening and I stoke the fire before going to bed, it MIGHT kick on at 4-5AM eventually. I'll come down and start the fire on hot coals from the night before. It's awesome.

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
Cool. Yeah use pine for my outdoor fire pit and there’s so much ash coming down here that i just burn that. And ash splits like butter
Ash is the best to burn. We still have ash trees here, but the Emerald Ash Borer is headed this way and I expect they'll get annihilated.

On the bright side, the four big ash trees in my yard will probably keep us warm for a winter :hs:

Reactions: Marty

Newt

OT Supporter
Sep 11, 2003
NVloc - 514.QC
Yeah. Heatpumps seem to be the new norm.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026