FIT Workout Routine V. 5'11 135 lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

runningscared

Banned
Jan 3, 2008
Just got a membership at my local gym. Want to gain about 30 pounds and tone up a bit, I'm skinny as fuck right now. Does anyone have a good workout routine I should follow that breaks down what I should do?

- Should I eat before or after I go to the gym?

- How often should I go to the gym?

- How long should a typical workout run?

Rojo Johnson

Dec 27, 2004
Texas
This

Adjust the volume to your level and same with the diet...this is just a base starter. Worked for me a few hundred others. I dont care if you disagree keep it to yourself, for others if you have questions...feel free to ask. I never bother to do this anymore so i though it would be a good start for some. Being a bodybuilder isnt easy and it sucks. If you think this is alot...exits that way.:wavey: This isnt set in stone, all sorts of variations of exercises and foods can be used. This is just what i liked and still do

Mon - Legs
4 sets leg ext 10-15reps
4 sets squat 6-10 reps
3 sets leg press 10-12 reps
4 sets leg curl 10-12reps
3 set db stiff legged or walking lunges

Tues - Chest
4 sets incline db or barbell 8-12
3 sets flat db or barbell 8-12
3 sets db fly or machine 12-12 reps
2 sets weighted dips

WED OFF

thur - back
bodyweight pullups 4 sets upto 15
bent over row barbell or db 4 sets 8-12
front pulldown wide or narrow (switch it up) 3 sets 8-10
cable row 3 sets 6-10
behind the head(ya ya they're bad blah blah blah) 2 sets 15 reps Medium easy weight...just squeeze.

fri - shoulders/arm
3 sets db press or front military 8-10
3 sets side laterals 10-12
3 sets reaer lateral machine or db 10-12
6 sets shrugs behind the back for 3 sets and too the front for 3

tris
3 sets 10-15 rope pushdown
3 sets french curl bar or machine 6-10
3 sets reversed push down (palms facing) 8-10

bis
3 sets barbell curl or cambered bar 8-12
3 sets preacher machine or db/barbell 8-12
2 sets hammer curl db or rope 10-15
wrist curls 13-20 reps 2 sets
Do abs mon-thur

Do calves tue-fri

Practice things like drop sets and giant sets on certain weeks as well. Say on bench you decided to do a 3-4 rep weight...well after you get 3-4 drop it in half and do another 12 right away...push yourself.

DIET

meal 1
6 eggwhites 2 yolks
3/4 cup oatmeal water or 1% milk
one scoop whey protein
meal2
can of tuna
1/2 cup rice
light italian dressing(olive oil)
meal 3
6-8oz chicken
5oz sweet potato
1/2 cup green beans
1 tbsp peanut butter
meal 4
1 can of tuna
1/2 cup rice
light italian (olive oil)
train
meal 5
2 scoops whey, 1 gatorade
meal 6
6-8oz sirloin or steak
large dinner salad with red wine vinegar/olive oil

GammaRadiation

Feb 15, 2007
Random Location.FL
Eat as much protein as you can and lift. When you're starting out simply getting in there is more important than any routine. Routines are for idealizing your strength and attributes.

Free weight and body weight > machines, especially at first. Not only do they work the target muscles but they work on the muscles that provide movement stability which not only gains weight more quickly but also provides more real world use of your muscles.

5'11' @ 135? You must be a damn rail. No offense intended, just sayin. I was pretty much a rail at 5'7'' 135.

Do not skip out on cardio. Rule #1, cardio.

Last edited:
TS
TS
runningscared

runningscared

Banned
Jan 3, 2008
If something requires 4 sets of 15 reps do I do 1 set of 15 and go back to that machine 3 more times?

GammaRadiation

Feb 15, 2007
Random Location.FL
Yes.

Feel yourself out. Dont be the dick who stands around for 5min between sets hogging a bench/machine for half an hour. Circuit training (switching between exercises quickly) has the added benefit of keeping your heart rate up.

half zip

Banned
Nov 23, 2007
Just got a membership at my local gym. Want to gain about 30 pounds and tone up a bit, I'm skinny as fuck right now. Does anyone have a good workout routine I should follow that breaks down what I should do?

- Should I eat before or after I go to the gym?

- How often should I go to the gym?

- How long should a typical workout run?

Eat whenever it suits you. Pre- and post-workout nutrition schemes are highly overrated.

How often you train depends on what kind of routine you take on. In my opinion, the best routines for gaining muscle are short duration, low frequency, full body routines. This entails training once every 3-5 days for approximately 20 minutes per session. "Cardio" is inimical to muscle growth and should be avoided altogether. Lift hard, rest adequately and eat enough to support growth, and you will gain muscle.

Recommend www.baye.com and www.bodybyscience.net for more info.

Last edited:

GTLifter

Banned
Feb 28, 2005
Durty Durty ATL Niggah
Eat whenever it suits you. Pre- and post-workout nutrition schemes are highly overrated.

How often you train depends on what kind of routine you take on. In my opinion, the best routines for gaining muscle are short duration, low frequency, full body routines. This entails training once every 3-5 days for approximately 20 minutes per session. "Cardio" is inimical to muscle growth and should be avoided altogether. Lift hard, rest adequately and eat enough to support growth, and you will gain muscle.

you should stop posting.

trainign once every 3-5 days for 20 minutes? my warmup sets take 20 fucking minutes. :rofl:

also, post-workout nutrition is not highly overrated. your body just tore itself down and wants food. that said i'm of the opinion that solid food is better than shakes.

Thomas Crenshaw

Apr 27, 2009
SOFLA

- Should I eat before or after I go to the gym? Both. I usually slam something down my gullet at least an hour and a half before i work out. this gives my body an hour to digest, and then a half hour for my pre workout stim. Throw a shake back immediately after a workout, then eat a full meal sometime after that.

- How often should I go to the gym? At you're height and weight, 3-4 should be fine. Throw in a cardio day as well

- How long should a typical workout run? again, at your specs, no more than an hour. if you're eating a lot, and have some spare calories to burn or plan on making up for them, cardio after a workout would probably push you over that hour mark and that's ok. just make up for lost cals.

see red

half zip

Banned
Nov 23, 2007
you should stop posting.

trainign once every 3-5 days for 20 minutes? my warmup sets take 20 fucking minutes. :rofl:

also, post-workout nutrition is not highly overrated. your body just tore itself down and wants food. that said i'm of the opinion that solid food is better than shakes.

There are viable approaches to training other than the one that you use personally. You can post your philosophy and I can post mine.

Unless one is training for powerlifting, there is no need for warmup sets. They accomplish nothing.

Post-workout nutrition is a notion that is pushed aggressively by supplements companies to market their products, and its importance is highly exaggerated. Unless you've gone for many hours without eating, you already have nutrients in your bloodstream or digestive tract from your last meal. Furthermore, most muscle repair occurs during sleep anyway, not during some magical post-workout time window. As long as you get enough to eat during the day, you will be fine.

Thomas Crenshaw

Apr 27, 2009
SOFLA
that said i'm of the opinion that solid food is better than shakes.

agreed, although i don't think anyone can argue about the convenience of a shake with good carbs, lots of protein and low fat. fueling your body that easily after a session pays off.

nwmrkt

Dec 31, 2004
Ontario, Canada
fuck these pansies and their 30min-circuit tween bullshit. If you wanna put on das mass, Do/learn to do something similar to routine posted above by my boy RoJo and eat, duh.

Not gaining das mass, eat more foodies.

(check out "bill starrs 5x5 routine" for something more simple if you want, maybe someone will post the modified one floating around)

Thomas Crenshaw

Apr 27, 2009
SOFLA
There are viable approaches to training other than the one that you use personally. You can post your philosophy and I can post mine.

Unless one is training for powerlifting, there is no need for warmup sets. They accomplish nothing.

Post-workout nutrition is a notion that is pushed aggressively by supplements companies to market their products, and its importance is highly exaggerated. Unless you've gone for many hours without eating, you already have nutrients in your bloodstream or digestive tract from your last meal. Furthermore, most muscle repair occurs during sleep anyway, not during some magical post-workout time window. As long as you get enough to eat during the day, you will be fine.

Post workout nutrition is a notion pushed by anyone with common sense.

TS
TS
runningscared

runningscared

Banned
Jan 3, 2008
Going to work my legs tomorrow. Anything as far as gym etiquette I should know? Should I have a meal right before I hit the gym or after?

GTLifter

Banned
Feb 28, 2005
Durty Durty ATL Niggah
There are viable approaches to training other than the one that you use personally. You can post your philosophy and I can post mine..

The difference is I can back mine up with proof of results in the form of increased strength, mass and explosiveness. What have you done? nothing.

Yea...you're retarded...

Spartan

OT Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Joisey/CA
Going to work my legs tomorrow. Anything as far as gym etiquette I should know? Should I have a meal right before I hit the gym or after?

if a woman is attempting to use a machine but doesn't have a towel, you need to take your shirt off and use it to cover the seat or bench for her

most gyms require you to at least wear slacks and a collared shirt, similar to golf course dress code

you have to tip the girl at the front desk when you check in

if the gym is owned by muslims, you have to pray towards mecca between sets

GammaRadiation

Feb 15, 2007
Random Location.FL

Short duration, low frequency, full body routines.

Go to gym once a week for 30min. Think you're buff.

c-f0o

Dec 19, 2004
SOUL COW
5'11 at 135? Jesus.. you'll see gains real quick if you eat much more than you are now and work out consistently, shocking your muscles

TS
TS
runningscared

runningscared

Banned
Jan 3, 2008
For the incline DBS, is it 4 sets per arm or should I split the sets between my arms. ( 2 sets per arm ) ?

TS
TS
runningscared

runningscared

Banned
Jan 3, 2008
I had a great workout today btw. Made me realize just how out of shape I was. Got a bit intimidated by some of the brolies at the gym and didn't do the squat or walking lunges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan