COMIC would anyone lend me a ahnd with this?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Navvik, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

i'm a punisher fan, and my friend isnt, he just doesnt get the appeal of punisher, so i was wondering could anybody out there help me by telling me their reason for liking punisher and what draws them to his comics. thank you :)

2. amalgamas

amalgamas OT Supporter

People getting exactly what they deserve. It's the same reason why I liked the recent rendition of Man on Fire. Too many comic villains commit unspeakable acts with next to no real consequences (lex luthor, the kingpin, etc.). They are jailed, but usually get out. That and the whole "while superheros take care of super villans, he's there taking care of the every day slime".

I'd be more wordy, but I'm too tired to think coherently at the moment, but you get the picture.

3. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo Active Member

I want to start reading Punisher. What should I be looking at to start with?

4. amalgamas

amalgamas OT Supporter

Depends on how dark you want to go. I personally enjoy the war journal lines as well as the more mature MAX line. You might also check out The Punisher Born, it's a miniseries that basically shows Frank's roots in combat.

5. void

void oh yeah?

the max series is independant from the marvel 616 universe. in this punisher's world, there are no super heroes (nick fury is in an arc however). he's older and deals justice in the most extreme of ways. it's all black and white to him, you do evil, you die. he's really smart and extremely ruthless, but you can almost sympathize with him every step of the way.

and don't read it if you're squeemish. man, there's some fucked up scenes in that book.

start with Punisher: Born, it's the MAX version of the origin of Frank Castle and what exactly happened to him in Vietnam.

6. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

'zactly! i find myself justifiying his actions to my friend like " cmon, these guys are slime, the traffick in hookers! they ruin lives! they gots whats comin to em" and he calls it emo and angsty.

7. owenstar

owenstar New Member

8. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

now that i think about it though.... i think punisher would fit best in his own world, like some sort of neverending war against the irish, and the terrorists, and the mob, and the common scum. my friend likes to lord it over me how captain america blah blah blah blah then i show him what if punisher killed the marvel universe and he starts spazzing out talking about how none of this would have ever happened.

9. nbkny17

nbkny17 Active Member

I think the Max version of the punisher is the best so far.

Lets put it this way: in the newest punisher on earth 616 he is wearing a captain america look a like costume.

10. owenstar

owenstar New Member

you forgot to mention how much ass it kicks...there is no american soldier like frank castle...not even rogers

11. axio

axio New Member

Wait, I thought that MAX was still 616?

12. amalgamas

amalgamas OT Supporter

They don't actually ever say and no other marvel characters, other than fury, ever make an appearance. It's widely believed that it is 616, as during franks first meeting with "the russian", the big guy makes a comment about how he wished to gain autographs from the x-men, the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man.

edit: and with further reading the russian also claims to be the president of the daredevil fanclub in his home town.

13. axio

axio New Member

Marvel is usually very clear about separate universes. Since they haven't stated I think it is safe to say that Punisher MAX is a part of the regular 616 continuity.

14. void

void oh yeah?

no it's not, there's no super heroes. garth takes a shit on super heroes.

15. amalgamas

amalgamas OT Supporter

Though garth never actually shows said super-heros, you will notice in your own post you mention "the russian", and when his profile is located on wiki you get:

16. void

void oh yeah?

ok.

so tell me what issue (of Punisher MAX) the russian was in...

17. amalgamas

amalgamas OT Supporter

If memory serves (at work, don't have access to my collection), he was in a Punisher MAX one shot called Welcome Back Frank...in which he died. To my knowledge he has not come back in the current MAX line.

18. void

void oh yeah?

welcome back frank was marvel KNIGHTS, not marvel MAX.

19. amalgamas

amalgamas OT Supporter

Hmm...you're right (looking at the book now), oh well, time to remove the foot from my mouth.

20. void

void oh yeah?

you wasted 45 minutes of my life...i was like, "wtf, the russian wasn't in MAX...oh shit....maybe he was in the first arc...i haven't read it in forever."

so i read it, and realized that the name of the first arc was "in the beginning," then i remembered welcome back frank was the marvel knights imprint.

but i have read a lot of punishery goodness this evening :o

21. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

Born isn't on warskrull is it?

22. axio

axio New Member

They just haven't SHOWN any, it doesn't mean that Punisher isn't in 616 :squint:

23. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

still though, i kinda like it like that. no super do goody schmucks getting my man frank's way :)

24. void

void oh yeah?

but seriously...in the first arc. he murdered like 50 people. do you think the avengers where just sitting in the mansion going, "franks murdering a small town again, should we do something? oh frank, you so crazy."

and as many people he's gunned down in new york, where's spider man? everyone ages accordingly in this universe. even his origin is different then the 616 frank. in born, he makes his deal with the devil in veitnam at the cost of his family.

so frank is in his late 50s, early 60s in MAX. so if there are super heroes in this universe, the golden age ones are either dead or retired. but there are no new ones on the street....anywhere.

and why would that be? because this is the marvel universe without super heroes!

25. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

up that shit. :squint: