Would it be crazy to sacrifice 3 years of my life to go back to school without debt

melroy

wonderin how many people ITT have been meditating
Apr 1, 2018
🤔

right now I work in post production mostly ny based current plan is to work another three/four years to get to editor so I can day play on stuff and help pay/work my way throughschool again

but someone offered me a potential travel show gig. It kinda sucks but they put you up and even on the low end you walk away with like 50k after taxes after 6 months.

why not just do that for like three years and then bounce to school full time 🤔

hmmmmmmmmm

other than social life would be super depressing

thank you for attending my bed talk

Reactions: michael
TS
TS
melroy

melroy

Apr 1, 2018
Do it. Real world experience plus the opportunity to network Can often get you farther than 3 years in school.
Totally unrelated. I already work in this industry and am where I’d want to be if I wanted to stay in it but I don’t.

DizzyEdge

Vax me Trudaddy
OT Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Calgary, AB
So the advantage of this gig is that you'd have more cash to throw at school in 3 years than if you kept on your current plan for 3-4 years? If so how much more in the end?

TS
TS
melroy

melroy

Apr 1, 2018
So the advantage of this gig is that you'd have more cash to throw at school in 3 years than if you kept on your current plan for 3-4 years? If so how much more in the end?
If I did this, and I was able to just swing from show to show, I'd be talking about coming out with like 200k. It would mean living in hotels or rented prefurnished homes in shitholes like an hour and a half outside atlanta for about three year straight. If I didnt Id not be able to come in with more than probably 50-60k

DizzyEdge

Vax me Trudaddy
OT Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Calgary, AB
If I did this, and I was able to just swing from show to show, I'd be talking about coming out with like 200k. It would mean living in hotels or rented prefurnished homes in shitholes like an hour and a half outside atlanta for about three year straight. If I didnt Id not be able to come in with more than probably 50-60k
When would it start?

ObeyTheNoodle

Russian Warship, Go Fuck Yourself
Aug 3, 2001
Seattle
Totally unrelated. I already work in this industry and am where I’d want to be if I wanted to stay in it but I don’t.

Then don't do it. You already said that the offered gig kinda sucks. If it kinda sucks now, and you don't wanna stay in the industry, it's probably not gonna get better. Move on.

Wolf

devastatingly foppish
OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2003
San Jose, CA
Go back to school? Do you currently have a degree? What would you be going back for, and to which school?

TS
TS
melroy

melroy

Apr 1, 2018
basically it boils down to:
shitty living condition for three years to not take on a huge amount of debt for my school
or
continue living a life I love in brooklyn for 3-5 years and then taking on a huge amount of debt for my school :hmm:

Wolf

devastatingly foppish
OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2003
San Jose, CA
If you can make $100k/year doing this, why not just keep doing it? What career would you go to school for which would be better than $100k/yr?

TS
TS
melroy

melroy

Apr 1, 2018
If you can make $100k/year doing this, why not just keep doing it? What career would you go to school for which would be better than $100k/yr?
Because I hate the fucking industry and its not sustainable long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6