WoW Crew: need advice on how to tank

Discussion in 'Online Adventures' started by the raging enigma, Dec 18, 2006.

1. the raging enigma

the raging enigma If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidenc

I know that there are enough WoW threads already, but one more won't hurt.
    Here's the deal. I have been playing WoW off and on since its initial release. My main is a 59 troll warrior. In the beginning I was playing instances alot, but now I rarely have the time. When I do find time to play an instance, all I get is a bunch of shit from the other players. I don't use mods or game guides at all. As a casual gamer, what would I have to do to tank well? My weapons aren't all epic yet due to rarely playing. People constantly bitch that I don't have epic weapons, that I dont tank properly, and I have had a few ask if I bought my character. Its getting to the point where I almost cannot stand the other people on there because they seem exactly like the way they are portrayed on South Park. People will bitch, but nobody will ever offer advice. HELP!

cliffs: I am a casual gamer and I get shit all of the time for not knowing how to tank properly.

2. Repentinus

Repentinus Member

Here my two cents.

#1: Don't charge in a dungeon. Pull away from the room into a safe area that you have established.

#2: When dealing with casters, line of sight pull. Basically shoot them and duck into a room where they can't see you. That will force them to run into your room to cast spells. Then the rest of your group can take them down.

#3: I haven't used them but I've seen them used. Use marks to identify mobs that need to be shackled (Undead) or sheeped (not Undead.) Also which you are pulling.

#4: Pull patrolling mobs first if you can safely. That avoids unnecessary adds later.

That's probably the most important tips I can think of. Good luck on pulling.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

heh, I'm a paladin...you should hear the bitch fest when I'm main tank.

Use sunder armor a lot. Tab to change targets, so it's tab sunder tab sunder tab sunder. If you are on a boss, tell your party NOT to attack till you have at least 3 sunders on. Why?? Cuz it builds hate and helps you hold agro.

Most people that bitch at me cuz of my sucky paly tanking do so because right when I rush in, they want to nuke the hell out of the target. They are too impatient to let me build up some hate so they usually draw the agro and I don't have anyway to get it back. This requires me to educate the party....apologize, ask them to be a little more patient before nuking (nuking means hitting with your max damage attack/spell). Some times it you, sometimes it's your party.

Palys can't call agro but warriors have taunt....watch out for taunt tho. I see sooo many warriors that open with taunt and I just laugh. Read the tool tip on taunt....it does NOTHING if the mob is already attacking you. SO, you should NEVER open with taunt. Save it for when some mage, rogue or other DPS/healing class pulls the agro off you....then you drop the taunt to pull the agro back.

Also, basic stuff....tank with sword n board (a one hand weapon and shield). Put some sort of shield spike on it (bought from a blacksmith). Use defensive stance to help lower your damage, use thunder clap if you have more than 2 or 3 hitting you. Use challenging shout to call all the mobs to attack you.

Also, if you are fighting humanoids, chances are they will run when low on health. Hamstring those bastards so they do run and gather reinforcements.

These are basic things that can really help. If you are doing something and it's not working or people are bitching.....try something else.

Also, why are you so willing to read advice in this thread but not read a game guide?? There are sooo many good guides on the web....if you can't find one, you're not trying.

4. Coottie

Yes, the art of the pull and line of sight. Very good tips there Repentius.

Line of sight is also very important for healing. Always be aware of where your healer is and move to a location where they can see you. You don't need to stand right next to the healer....in fact, that's a very bad thing to do. You should, however, be in a direct line of sight so they can heal you.

5. the raging enigma

My husband has a few game guides, I have read through them, but not studied them. Once again, i do not have the time to devote hours on end to this game. Thank you both for the advice though, its nice to see that some people are willing to help. Now I am off to find a better one handed weapon.

6. Coottie

You're welcome for the suggestions....post more questions if you have them.

In my opinion, the really undiscussed success of wow is that it's casual friendly. You don't have to "devote hours to the game" in order to be a decent player and end people bitching about your performance. But it also may not be all together intuitive on how to do things better.

I've found that most people playing the game will help, but you have to do your part first. Most people prolly won't spoon feed you helpful hints in game because they are tooo busy playing the game. However, most people will respond with helpful suggestions if you ask simple direct questions.....such as, How does hate work? or What are ways warriors can hold aggro?? These questions are prolly best left for guild chat or a whisper to another warrior, perhaps someone you know but sometimes questions in general chat are asked and they sometimes get honest answers.

Since you are a 59 warrior, the assumption by most people is that you know how to play the role of a tank. If you don't, they can be unmerciful with their criticism. Another thing that I have found VERY helpful when returning to play a high level character class that I haven't played in awhile is to start a brand new character of that same class and play through at least lvl 10. You have less options to confuse you and it's usually accepted that you will make many mistakes so people are more forgiving....it's also a better place to ask questions. When you feel more confident, go back to the higher level character.

You will get better, don't give up just put a more effort into learning how to play. You'll be rewarded with many more enjoyable hours in game. And remember everyone makes mistakes and everyone has to learn how to play the class they've chosen....even if they bitch at you, those same people were once noobs also.

7. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

shield block, revenge, sunder, sunder.
    taunt is only for when you lose aggro, not to build it.

8. Coottie

open with shield block?? :ugh:

9. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Stay in defensive, go prot spec, stay alert, rend is useless, sunder early

10. Kaisersoze

Kaisersoze New Member

For most 5, 10, and 20 player instances, you shouldn't have to worry about tanking mobs too much. Mainly just spam sunders and taunt anything that is attacking your healers. Chances are, they will die quickly and you wont have much time to get in 5 sunders. If you have multiple mobs, have your party focus fire on one. You should sunder each of the other mobs once to keep them on you so that a heal won't steal aggro, and then spam sunder on your focus fire target.

For bosses, have your party/raid lay off the target for 2-3 sunders so you have more threat when they start to dps so it's harder to steal. You should be fine with 3 sunders and then just keep spamming them.

Few moves that gain threat:
    1. Sunder Armor - This is your main threat generating skill and easily spammable if you put your talent points into it. With the new talent tree as of patch 2.01, sunder armor rage is decreases to 9 rage a swing instead of 15. As of my warrior, his rank 5 sunder generates 389 threat.
    2. Devastate - If you went through the entire protection tree, this is what you get. A rank 2 devasate generate 25 threat for each sunder on a target. So 1 sunder is 25 threat, 2 is 50 and so on. But what's different is that it also does damage equal to half your weapon damage. With 5 sunders and my weapon (Bloodlord's Defender), it does about 120 damage a hit with 125 gained threat.
    3. Shiled bash - For strictly raiding, it's useless to put points into this talent because mobs in 20 and 40 man raids can't be silenced. This skill interrupts spell casts (very useful for most bosses/mobs) and gains you threat at about the same rate as sunder armor. My rank 3 shield bash gains me 329 threat.
    4. Shield slam - Awesome threat generating ability. I personally start each fight off with a shield slam because it gains the most threat out of any ability short of taunt, mocking blow, and challenging shout. It's proc (50% chance to remove 1 magic effect on target) isn't really all that useful unless you happen to dispell a damage shield. At rank 4, it does 348-358 damage and gains 767 threat.
    5. Taunt, Mocking Blow, and Challenging Shout - All of these spells automatically have the mobs attack you. Taunt grabs one target for 2 seconds and costs 0 rage, mocking blow grabs 1 target for 6 seconds, deals 93 damage to it and costs 10 rage at rank 5. Challenging shout makes all mobs in an area of effect to attack you for 6 seconds and costs 5 rage.
    6. Any other damaging skills - Terrible if you are trying to hold aggro but they do generate some threat. It's all equal to the ammount of damage you do.
    1. White damage - Vastly underestimated as a threat generator. White damage will compromise about 50% of your total ammount of generated threat. A nice fast weapon with decent damage is great for tanking (AQ20 exalted rep weapon Sickle of Unyielding Strength is excelent)
    That last one should been a 7 but i messed up...

All in all, spamming skills and doing decent damage is an easy way to maintain aggro. I myself am a terrible tank because I am typing this whiule main tanking ZG for my guild. But if there's one thing I can do well, it's jump up on the aggro charts. Hope this helped.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  11. Coottie

damn kaisersoze...some great info there. Thanks! You're makin me want to ply my warrior again.

When tanking to you stay in defensive stance or switch stances?

12. Kaisersoze

Kaisersoze New Member

I rarely switch stances because normally I maintain a lot of rage since im only using a few skills, but at the beginning I'll charge then switch to start off with a bit more rage, or you can go berserker and use berserker rage if you know a fear is coming up (i.e. onyxia or magmadar)

13. Coottie

I just found a guide on tanking and thought of this post. IT's NOT my guide, I just found it on the web and it seemed to have a lot of good info. Hope it helps:

14. the raging enigma

You guys are great!! Thank you for the suggestions. I finally found a guild that is supportive and they actually make me want to play again

15. FLY-FAST

FLY-FAST OT Supporter

It just takes practice my friend. While not absolutely neccessary, I'd suggest you consider speccing to 'protection' - since you are a casual gamer, you probably end up in pick-up groups most of the time, and lets face it... Generally speaking, pugs aren't always the best players. So, spec'ing to protection will help keep you alive when your healer goes AFK without notice. :)

Spend some time and organize your menu bars to make sure you are comfortable with them and taunt/sunder/mock blow - stance dance.. blah blah

Also, make sure you've got armor kits on whatever items you have that aren't enchanted. They are often overlooked, and although not a great enchant, they are DIRT cheap and do afford a decent level of additional armor.

16. FLY-FAST

FLY-FAST OT Supporter

Also, make sure you keep your challenging shout at all times. If you want to be lazy, there is a mod on cursegaming that will automatically cast it and keep it up whenever your rage level permits.