wow, staples really cashes in on hard drive installs!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Nov 14, 2006.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude with an ileostomy bag OT Supporter

i was looking at blackfriday.info, i figured i'd stand in line with my girl and get a couple of the 200 gig maxtor drives for $20 (after rebates, but staples has the best and easiest rebates IMO)

anyways, the staples page had a link to have it installed for you, i got a big kick out of all the requirements for the "installer" and the price to drive out to someones house and throw in a drive as a slave, about a 1 minute job at most

[​IMG]

all the upgrades: http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/mobiletech/upgrade.html

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Does that include the cost of the drive itself? I could see it if it were a $120 hard drive and a $30 installation with $10 in taxes, but $160 just to install it is bullshit.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I realllly doubt that includes the drive. No one, especially a big company like that, is going to send someone out to your house for $30. I wonder how many takers they get at those prices. The only one of those that's even close to realistic is the Windows installation. That takes 1-2hrs to do *right* (ie. all drivers installed and fully patched) but they probably don't even do that.

4. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

ninja edit: re-read your post... "read, re-read, reply". missed a couple steps there.

5. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

yeah pretty pricey

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I used to make sick amounts of money off service even when I was charging 40 bucks to put a drive in and 40 to 60 for virus and spyware removal.