WSJ - just getting warmed up - 1.23.21

smell my finger

strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,
Aug 8, 2001
N NJ
Joe Biden’s First Day Began the End of Girls’ Sports
An executive order rigs competition by requiring that biological boys be allowed to compete against girls.

- On day one, Mr. Biden placed all girls’ sports and women’s safe spaces in the crosshairs of the administrative state.
- Any school that receives federal funding—including nearly every public high school—must either allow biological boys who self-identify as girls onto girls’ sports teams or face administrative action from the Education Department.
- Once male puberty is complete, testosterone suppression doesn’t undo the biological advantages men possess: larger hearts, lungs and bones, greater bone density, more-oxygenated blood, more fast-twitch muscle fiber and vastly greater muscle mass.

Trump and the Failure of the Expert Class
They were right about his character, but his defects were obvious to almost everyone. They were wrong about virtually all else.

- [T]he most salient theme of the past five years was not any challenge to democracy. The great theme of the Trump years, the one historians will note a century from now, was the failure of America’s expert class. The people who were supposed to know what they were talking about, didn’t.
- The most respected pollsters, meanwhile, predicted a landslide for Hillary Clinton. America’s best and brightest political adepts turned out to know very little about the elections they claim to understand.
- Also during the 2016 campaign, an assemblage of top-tier academics, intellectuals and journalists warned that Mr. Trump’s candidacy signified a fascist threat ... That these cultured authorities couldn’t tell the difference between a populist protest against elite contempt and a coup carried out by powerful ideologues will go down as one of the great fiascoes of American intellectual history.
- For the left, “democracy” is another word for progressive policy aims, especially the widening of special political rights and welfare-state provisions to new constituencies. By that definition any Republican president is carrying out an “assault on democracy.”
- It took a 22-month investigation by a special counsel to establish an absence of evidence that Mr. Trump’s campaign had conspired with the Russians. America’s best minds and most influential leaders had spent more than two years obsessing over an idiotic conspiracy theory.
- The most regrettable part of this class failure is that, with rare exceptions, the experts themselves acknowledge no error.

Joe Biden’s Super State
The Covid vaccination mess calls to mind the catastrophic rollout of ObamaCare.

- The now-mandatory conventional wisdom posits that the failure is because the Trump administration did not create a national plan to coordinate inoculations. Joe Biden says his plan, which in most respects sounds like the Operation Warp Speed plan, will vaccinate 100 million people in 100 days. That is the voice of a government lifer.
- Blaming the vaccine rollout’s problems on the Trump administration is myopic. The failure is deeper; it is systemic and goes back years. Indeed easily as far back as Mr. Biden’s favorite template, the Obama administration.
- Any honest assessment of this phenomenon would recognize how often major public interventions in our time simply don’t work.
- The vaccine rollout bogged down immediately in debates over degrees of essentialness and equity. A New York hospital’s website asks frantic vaccine seekers to enter their self-identifying pronoun.
- Partisans will squeal, but those seeking solutions must come to grips with the reality of red states such as Florida, West Virginia and Texas accomplishing Covid inoculations, while blue California and New York falter. In July, New York Mayor Bill de Blasio blandly announced the city government would create day-care centers for hundreds of thousands of out-of-school children. It never happened.
- The pandemic again offers guidance: Private, parochial and charter schools returned quickly to teaching, while the too-big public systems stayed closed. Even as vaccine distribution faltered, the gig economy never stopped delivering stuff everywhere.

Reactions: remmy
TS
TS
smell my finger

smell my finger

Aug 8, 2001
N NJ

MiseryIndex

open your eyes child, your sea is changing.
Nov 9, 2000
heaven's fence.
Lol

"Once male puberty is complete, testosterone suppression doesn’t undo the biological advantages men possess"

So 'boys and girls sports' is in the headline. But 'men' is in the fear mongering?

I realize puberty is over by like 16, and junior/senior year of high school is the most important college sports. But my god ...'the end it's is pretty fucking doom and gloom for the amount of people this impacts. Remember when they were worried about bathrooms and locker rooms? Lol

Miesha Taint

May 6, 2006
every saturday they post some stupid fuckin shit :rofl:
MiikdDE.png

sams0n

$
Oct 7, 2004
Daly City, CA

Wolf

Slow Suicide's No Way To Go
OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2003
San Jose, CA
I mean to be fair to Trump he won 67 of the 50 states.
Did you know he got the most votes EVER of any sitting president in US history? How can you get the most votes and still lose? SHENANIGANS, I say. 🤔

TS
TS
smell my finger

smell my finger

Aug 8, 2001
N NJ
this is stupid shit but thanks for that paywall extension
something for everyone, and the NYT opinion pieces aren't things anyone is going to argue about

Finally, a President Acknowledges White Supremacists
The first step in preventing right-wing violence is recognizing it as a major threat.

Put the Money Printer on Autopilot
If a Biden relief package isn’t open-ended, and tied to a full recovery, America is doomed to repeat last-minute partisan fights over aid.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026