WWOTD: Neighbor installed AC unit at front of house

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
My last bill was $165 for 533 kwh. Tier 1 is $0.28/kwh for 365 kwh. Tier 2 is $0.36/kwh. Imagine how bad it would be with AC.
I have both on-grid and off-grid solar so this number isn't really accurate but it gives a general overview. Here's what my breakdown for a single month looked like, it doesn't take into account the majority of my office equipment which is on 24/7, my NAS server, or my networking equipment which accounts for something like another 15-25kWh per day, those are all on off-grid solar with an independent battery backup.

1659640101643.png

Check the Total produced number.

That is why my electric bill, minus the $50 of fees, was less than $40 last month and less than $100 total. I only got billed for the on-peak power.

My setup is small potatoes compared to some people, who have WAY more panels than I do and they will never see a bill above their fees because of how much they produce.

Chuck Finley

Florida Man | Infamous ROFL Spammer
Super Moderator
May 1, 2002
St Pete, FL
0NL8PDi.png

1747 kw/h monthly average :rofl:

Chuck Finley

Florida Man | Infamous ROFL Spammer
Super Moderator
May 1, 2002
St Pete, FL
Budget billing with Duke Energy == they average your annual usage so you pay a flat monthly fee instead of a different amount month/month

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
I'm not saying I enjoy being in an 80 degree house, but I had no idea everyone on OT was such a pansy. 80 under a ceiling fan isn't terrible. I've lived without AC for nearly all my life so I guess I'm just used to it. Also, while it gets hot here, it's not an unrelenting heat like you get in the rest of the country.
i work outside in FLAME RETARDANT coveralls handling up to 200f explosive liquids and sometimes the trucks dont have ac that work worth a damn, but im being paid $$$

at home, ill spend a couple days pay so i and my dogs are in comfort

75f is too hot inside, 70 with a fan is ok, but lower is BETTER and worth the $$$

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
Budget billing with Duke Energy == they average your annual usage so you pay a flat monthly fee instead of a different amount month/month
APS does that too, but you really have to watch when you start it unless you've been with them for awhile. If you are new they're going to take your first three months and use that, so if you start in the summer you're going to be fucked till the next year. :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: Chuck Finley

Rusty Shackleford

luey its time for your anal pills
OT Supporter
Dec 2, 2006
St. Louis
I know that feel. I can hear my garage unit kick on from my living room or when I’m right outside on the deck or in the pool. I didn’t think of this when I had it installed.

This is your fault @s34s0ns. This morning I walked out to my garage and was instantly hit by 100% humidity and 80F air. The power flickered a few times last night and my Nest must have died or gone crazy and my system won't kick on. :wtc:

• Haha
Reactions: s34s0ns

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
holy fuck, I just checked, state wide CA raised their electric rates 15.2% per kWh from 2021 to 2022. :roflwtf:

I knew it was bad there but they are just shitting on their lower-middle and lower class citizens without even doing them the courtesy of calling it rain.
mine went down 3%

:rofl:

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
2 shitty gas wall mounted heaters.

Used to be a furnace with a single floor grate center of the entry floor. Thing didn’t work and crawl space was too tight for a replacement (to code) or ducts.

So we just ran gas to opposite sides of the house and got these geriatric beige ass heaters installed.
mini split heat pumps are awesome for heat, can be cheaper than gas (depending on ambient temp and your gas price)

your ambient temp is awesome for heat pump

check this out, its science

70f is warm, right???

-1f has 85% of the same heat in it waiting to be captured by a heat pump

so all your ambient temps are gonna be higher, and just begging to be transferred into your house, and then in the summer, that same mini split gives you sweet ac

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
I'm not saying I enjoy being in an 80 degree house, but I had no idea everyone on OT was such a pansy. 80 under a ceiling fan isn't terrible. I've lived without AC for nearly all my life so I guess I'm just used to it. Also, while it gets hot here, it's not an unrelenting heat like you get in the rest of the country.
No its fucking terrible i literally ghetto rigged a swamp cooler

• Haha
Reactions: amalgamas

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
No its fucking terrible i literally ghetto rigged a swamp cooler
when you say that I'm imaging red neck AC

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Er ko kary