WWOTD: Neighbor installed AC unit at front of house

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ

Leonard Washington

OT Supporter
Aug 15, 2004
mini split heat pumps are awesome for heat, can be cheaper than gas (depending on ambient temp and your gas price)

your ambient temp is awesome for heat pump

check this out, its science

70f is warm, right???

-1f has 85% of the same heat in it waiting to be captured by a heat pump

so all your ambient temps are gonna be higher, and just begging to be transferred into your house, and then in the summer, that same mini split gives you sweet ac

Sometimes when I’m home by myself I crank it as low as it will go (16c/60f)with the Fan on high. It will freeze the place out and then I forget about it. my wife comes home and has a fit :o

mdaniel

S is for Shiksa
May 6, 2000
NW Mejicooooooo
Sometimes when I’m home by myself I crank it as low as it will go (16c/60f)with the Fan on high. It will freeze the place out and then I forget about it. my wife comes home and has a fit :o
I once had an apartment with AC and a broken thermostat so it acted more like and on/off switch I'd control manually. I accidently left the AC one night and went to a baseball game. When I got back, it was like 60F inside. It was awesome.

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
oh i turn it to 61f (lowest it goes) and fan on TURBO and have it oscillate up down and side to side

im 10' away from it facing it, and have to sit in my lazboy under a blanket, its too damn cold :rofl:

and have ceiling fan 15' away distribute it around

then i just turn it onto fan, no ac, and its cold for quite awhile

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
If you can throw some ice in there or better yet rig up something like a bong chiller on the water you could probably get a couple more degrees out of that. :cool:

That or see about getting a floor standing AC unit if there are any available. :hsd:
Ice in Germany :rofl: only good thing is ground water is like 45 so keeps it pretty cool as long as i change the water out.

• Haha
Reactions: amalgamas

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
Honestly if they just had a valve that could switch the radiators from hot water to cold water you could probably keep a flat/house pretty cool

Sailor Jerry

Nov 13, 2007
Dirtona Beach
0NL8PDi.png

1747 kw/h monthly average :rofl:
I got two new ACs in February

4i0I0wV.png

Gonna pay for their selves in no time :rofl:

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

Silver Member
May 22, 2000
CA
I live near HB without AC. The vast majority of housing here was built in the late 60's to late 70's without AC although a lot of people have added it since. On hot summer days, it can hit 90 inside. I have ceiling fans in every room, a couple of floor fans, and a whole house fan. Even without AC, my electric bill was $165 last month since they keep jacking up the rates. I can't imagine how expensive AC is to run now.
My dude. This shit is legit. It's no louder than a medium setting for floor fan. Virtually silent compared to portable AC and regular window AC from the inside.

Game changer. So quiet, can even watch TV without it being on full blast.

Also don't even have to drill holes to mount. Can just put a foam strip down across the bottom of unit and on bottom of window sill and call it good.

hurleywurley

That’s a rock fact
OT Supporter
Dec 8, 2006
Dickinson, TX
I'm strongly considering a mini split for our bedroom. We need it at 70F to sleep and there's no need to cool the entire 2500sqft house to that just to get it in the bedroom.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
I'm strongly considering a mini split for our bedroom. We need it at 70F to sleep and there's no need to cool the entire 2500sqft house to that just to get it in the bedroom.

thats the right way IMO.

bedrooms all with their own mini splits (even ducted minisplits) then let the rest of the house warm up a bit at night while you can sleep at 65F no problem.

they make a style that fits in the joist bay as well

• Love
Reactions: hurleywurley

[DWI]

Master of Nothing
Aug 6, 2000
Maine
I snuck over @jared_IRL 's place for some behind the scenes shots. as you can see anyone can do it

View attachment 246422

That spaghetti monster stuff running all over the outside of the house even in line set cover (well not as bad as that) is why I ended up doing my own. 2 exterior units immediately go into the house to a D-box and then up through interior walls to the interior heads.

Reactions: whatever

Uncle Ruckus

hey y'all
Dec 8, 2004
Vaginal Passages Malibu
lol a lot of people there don't

I remember going to a friends place in Huntington Beach that didn't have AC on a hot summer day and his house was like 87 with all the windows open. We were just sitting there watching tv and I was just pouring sweat. Same thing with a friend in Hawaii, we are hanging out in their apartment and it's like 90 with 100% humidity...wife and I are just sitting playing with their kid on the couch and I am just drenched. Balls like a fucking slip-n-slide.
That's when you slip n slide get loose

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Er ko kary