WWOTD: Neighbor installed AC unit at front of house

anomaly

Only 00s are OGs
Oct 12, 2000
The Town
Honestly sounds like you should move houses….
The floor to move into a fully sorted house in his zipcode is ~$2.2M and still with meh tier schools. He would need to bump to the $2.6M range to get a house with stucco fixed, knob and tube upgraded to romex, AC/heat retrofit, etc with a decent OUSD public school.

TS
TS
s34s0ns

s34s0ns

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2005
Oakland, Ca
The floor to move into a fully sorted house in his zipcode is ~$2.2M and still with meh tier schools. He would need to bump to the $2.6M range to get a house with stucco fixed, knob and tube upgraded to romex, AC/heat retrofit, etc with a decent OUSD public school.
I like this guy^

Reactions: Good Ol' Gil

Remy Bressant

40 big girls and a bottle
OT Supporter
Jul 24, 2015
SoCal
Thank the Chinese

anomaly

Only 00s are OGs
Oct 12, 2000
The Town
I'm still runnin one of these in my house (cost ~$1k/mo in the Oakland "winter" to keep the house in the high 60s) complete with asbestos octopus arms and my house is worth well over double what his is.

1659583548966.png

anomaly

Only 00s are OGs
Oct 12, 2000
The Town
I like this guy^
Done a couple full gut renos on Oakland houses. They are fun to take apart.

I have a guy who will replace all your knob and tube at a reasonable rate. He is almost done rewiring our entire house. I can also give a referral for a person for a main panel upgrade (that one needs a straight forward permit if you are bumping line service)

TS
TS
s34s0ns

s34s0ns

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2005
Oakland, Ca
How often are they really gonna run the ac unit? It’s unusually humid right now but it’ll go away by September and any heat won’t be back until next year July or so.
That’s a great point. Hopeful she’s stingy enough to regulate it. There are 2 people there that work weekends and someone works late till 9 or so. So it isn’t a 9-5 only thing.

It lines up with when I want to be gardening out front or chillin in the sunroom though heat wise.

You guys are making me feel better tbh. Still heated, but better.

5SpeedSER

Jun 18, 2003
South Florida
Yeah I’m on board with that. Wife isn’t. I need to start convincing her that it’s fine to offer.

Not joking when I say I’d hand them 5-10k tomorrow to move it to the other side.

Get the wife on board, and have the discussion, if you’re willing to pay… especially for something like this. I can imagine a good neighbor may be game. Only thing you need to consider, is there a good alternative location.

If my neighbor came to me and said hey - this is a problem and here’s money to fix it, similar to this… I’d be happy to consider it.

• Support
Reactions: s34s0ns
TS
TS
s34s0ns

s34s0ns

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2005
Oakland, Ca
Done a couple full gut renos on Oakland houses. I do have a guy who will replace all your knob and tube at a reasonable rate. He is almost done rewiring our entire house. I can also give a referral for a person for a main panel upgrade (that one needs a straight forward permit if you are bumping line service)
Okay bookmarking this - next project startup I’ll PM:bowhs:

Last electricians (hope this isn’t your friend) fixed two outlets and caused one of our pocket lights to be stuck on at like 5% brightness. They couldn’t figure it out so they cut the ground and peaced.

Reactions: anomaly

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burner371