WWOTD: Neighbor installed AC unit at front of house

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
Big fan of mini splits. Wish I had one in my loft area of my condo. Had one in my house for the upstairs bonus room.
In my last house I had one in mine and my tenants offices respectively. Literally cut our already tiny electric bill down by 20% due to less strain on the central HVAC.

When I build my new house I'm only going with mini-splits.

Last edited:

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
In my last house I had one in mine and my tenants offices respectively. Literally cut our already tiny electric bill down by 20% due to less strain on the central HVAC.

When I build my new house I'm only going with mini-splits.
i just watched a video of a $26mm 'off grid' mansion

all the mini split condensors outside lol

• Haha
Reactions: amalgamas

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
i just watched a video of a $26mm 'off grid' mansion

all the mini split condensors outside lol
the way my house is gonna be built and the style of house it's going to be I should only be using the mini-split in the deep summer and I should only need a minimum of three and a maximum of five. One in my office, master bedroom, and living room respectively are a must. If I have enough money though I'll put one in each of the two guest rooms till the wife and I decide it's time to adopt or not and turn one into a kid's room. :o

Reactions: 12xalt

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
Yeah when you're renting, neither party has an incentive to spend big bucks on stuff like this.
back when I was a landlord I'd have jumped on shit like that because it would have increased the value of the house, but I'm also not in CA and shit is cheaper and works a little different here as far as permitting goes. :hsd:

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
the way my house is gonna be built and the style of house it's going to be I should only be using the mini-split in the deep summer and I should only need a minimum of three and a maximum of five. One in my office, master bedroom, and living room respectively are a must. If I have enough money though I'll put one in each of the two guest rooms till the wife and I decide it's time to adopt or not and turn one into a kid's room. :o
i wanna install solar to offset the extra electricity im using for the minisplit both in the summer and winter, but im pretty sure it cant pay back, but i also know energy/electricity only gonna get more expensive, it'd be nice to cap my costs goin into retirement

but then it would help cover power outtages that are frequent, but still im better off

mdaniel

S is for Shiksa
May 6, 2000
NW Mejicooooooo
back when I was a landlord I'd have jumped on shit like that because it would have increased the value of the house, but I'm also not in CA and shit is cheaper and works a little different here as far as permitting goes. :hsd:
People throw stupid amounts of money at total shit boxes here so I'm pretty sure lack of a $50k solar, battery, AC system isn't much of a factor.

• Haha
Reactions: amalgamas

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
i wanna install solar to offset the extra electricity im using for the minisplit both in the summer and winter, but im pretty sure it cant pay back, but i also know energy/electricity only gonna get more expensive, it'd be nice to cap my costs goin into retirement

but then it would help cover power outtages that are frequent, but still im better off
at this point I won't live anywhere without a minimum of solar + whole house battery backup.

Next house won't even be on grid and just be using solar + battery with NG genny to offset any potential shortfalls.

Fuck the rising cost of electricity and fuck our aging infrastructure. :o

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
People throw stupid amounts of money at total shit boxes here so I'm pretty sure lack of a $50k solar, battery, AC system isn't much of a factor.
giphy.gif

Leonard Washington

OT Supporter
Aug 15, 2004
Bro I live in Canada and have AC, I wouldn’t survive this humidity without it plus we’re in a heat warning for 100*+. I go from ac house to ac truck to ac office. My new office has its own mini split and it’s fucking AWESOME

take the 10k you’ll offer your neighbors and 1) get ac or 2) upgrade your windows/ get insulation so you don’t hear it. But you’re dumb af to not get ac, you’ll get it back in resale and then some

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Er ko kary