ART You have GOT to be kidding me!

FindersKeepers

Oct 3, 2003
Tampa, Florida
My phone pinged while I was in a meeting and I just got around to checking it... Ryann (female) and Robert are a very.... Interesting couple... I met them at a wedding I did last month...

date Thu, May 11, 2011 at 5:54 AM
subject subject:
hide details 5:54 AM (6 hours ago)

your name::
Ryann Scxxxxx

e-mail address::
xxxxxxxxxx

phone::
813-xxxxxxxx

subject::
subject:

Hello Jonathan. I was referred to you by Casey's wedding planner from their April wedding!
My husband and I absolutely adored your bright cheery style of portraits and deep rich colors. As you know Robert and I are to be married in January and I would like you to be our photographer. I have a bit of an odd request, Do you have an Iphone? Robert and I use Instagram and Hipstamatic on our phones daily and love the styles we come up with. Would you be willing to take some of the photos with an iphone and have them included in the package or do you have an old film/polaroid camera you can use to get the same effect? Please let me know! Thank you! -Ryann

While I dont have an iphone, I do have a droidX... 8mp!!! BOYYAH... :rolleyes:

:mamoru: some peoples requests at times baffle me. This one takes the cake for me so far, beside the lady who wanted snakes in her maternity photos :rofl:

CornUponCob

Oct 3, 2001
I've done 'professional" work with my iphone. I was photographing a swim meet and the meet director wanted a bunch of facility shots and the widest I had at the time was 50mm (had just switched to Nikon), so I took them all with my iPhone 4 and he said they were great lulz.

I was walking around the facility with 2 D700s on my shoulders taking shots with my phone lulz.

TS
TS
FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers

Oct 3, 2003
Tampa, Florida
Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (hemoriod X: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; DROIDX Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I'm going to reply when I'm back in my office. Ill do whatever they want! They will be paying customers and will love that I did this and refer me further.

Just Had to post about it though. Figured OTAP would get a laugh

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (hemoriod X: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; DROIDX Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I'm going to reply when I'm back in my office. Ill do whatever they want! They will be paying customers and will love that I did this and refer me further.

Just Had to post about it though. Figured OTAP would get a laugh

Take photos with regular gear
Dump on to iPhone
Process in Hipstamatic
????
Profit

isaac86hatch

This thread sucks
Oct 3, 2005
Oregon
You and the rest of the photographers may not like it, but it's what they like and that's all that matters, right?

Fucking seriously. Get over yourself. If you're shooting weddings, you better leave your fucking stupid ego at the door. Wedding photography, by and large is just a fucking service job. Customers want X. Either deliver or find yourself with one less wedding to shoot. Welcome to the wedding industry.

TS
TS
FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers

Oct 3, 2003
Tampa, Florida
Take photos with regular gear
Dump on to iPhone
Process in Hipstamatic
????
Profit

Thats what one of the ideas was was sure if it'd work correctly, the other is to just use some LR presets to mimick it, not like its very hard as there are 11ty bajillion presets that do the same thing

Or some photoshop actions...

dmora

Glass plate collodion, of course.

:werd: TRUE HIPSTER SHIT HERE.

Glass_plate_negative.jpg

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC

Fucking seriously. Get over yourself. If you're shooting weddings, you better leave your fucking stupid ego at the door. Wedding photography, by and large is just a fucking service job. Customers want X. Either deliver or find yourself with one less wedding to shoot. Welcome to the wedding industry.

I don't know about you dude, but my clients choose me based on what I produce on my own, not based on what they can tell me to do. Literally ANYONE can click off shots with an iPhone. I understand they're paying him, but really, you've gotta see that's a pretty silly request.

SPEND YEARS DEVELOPING A STYLE

USE IPHONE AT CLIENT BEHEST

dmora

I don't know about you dude, but my clients choose me based on what I produce on my own, not based on what they can tell me to do. Literally ANYONE can click off shots with an iPhone. I understand they're paying him, but really, you've gotta see that's a pretty silly request.

:werd: This is where one will stand out... You're either unique and have your own finger print on the work, or you're just another schmo. Yea you might get more work making stuff people want as a commercial photog, but the ones that transcend that are the ones who's names are remembered. :o

/fine art poop.

dmora

but srsly... tell em let you do your work, and just process them hipster style in the computer.

TS
TS
FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers

Oct 3, 2003
Tampa, Florida

Sorry that I pissed in your cornflakes this afternoon... Next time I'll be sure to aim a different direction..

These people, while weird, are really nice people so I just replied with this

Ryann,

I'll be happy to sit with you and Rich and discuss some of these details. While the photos taken with an iPhone or similar device are not congruent to my normal style of photos, I'm willing to offer a few of the photos developed in a similar fashion to what you're requesting. Please call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX tonight so that we may set up a time to sit together and discuss details.

Great hearing from you and I look forward to working with you and Richard
Jonathan

Ty Webb

You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia
Dec 17, 2004
Bushwood Country Club

Damn right. I won't work with anyone who tries to dictate how they want me to shoot for them outside of my own style and methodology. They like my work based on what I do and my style. If not, find someone else. Sure, having them suggest that is fine, but if I'm not comfortable doing it, I won't do it - unless it's for more money. :big grin: After all, that's not in the scope.

TS
TS
FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers

Oct 3, 2003
Tampa, Florida
All very good points.

Some I never considered... I dont want to devalue anything I do... using a cellphone would make me feel cheap while I have DSLR's and lenses strapped to me for use..

I'll be able to convince them not to do it and just have a family member hold the phone and do the snapshots.

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
Damn right. I won't work with anyone who tries to dictate how they want me to shoot for them outside of my own style and methodology. They like my work based on what I do and my style. If not, find someone else. Sure, having them suggest that is fine, but if I'm not comfortable doing it, I won't do it - unless it's for more money. :big grin: After all, that's not in the scope.

Pretty much. I turn away 2-3 people a year just because they ask for "a lot of B&W photos with color brought back into them, like in flowers! And eyes!"

Fuck that.

TS
TS
FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers

Oct 3, 2003
Tampa, Florida
Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (hemoriod X: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/534.24 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/11.0.696.65 Safari/534.24)

FryingPan said:

Pretty much. I turn away 2-3 people a year just because they ask for "a lot of B&W photos with color brought back into them, like in flowers! And eyes!"

Fuck that.

I hate selective color, and will immediately dismiss it, or not even do it.

isaac86hatch

This thread sucks
Oct 3, 2005
Oregon

Was not really my point, and my response was reactionary. That I agree. My point was more the "You have GOT to be kidding me!" title of this thread. As though, "OMG, some clients asked me to try something!"

Of course it's a silly fucking request. BUT THIS WHY PEOPLE HIRE PHOTOGRAPHERS. Because they know jack shit about photography and are smart and willing to pay for someone who does. The more ridiculous requests I get from commercial and magazine art directors the better in my eyes. I love when clients push me into new directions and not just hire me to "do whatever, we trust you." I like having a diverse portfolio and not a bunch of shit that looks EXACTLY the same with different people/subjects.

I think there are very easy ways to deal with it. Personally, I would just sell them a half-analog wedding and charge fuck ton for the processing. And explain the benefits why the film is the way to go to get the genuine look and why an iPhone won't work, which to be honest, probably would for what they want.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthony 74