Your Opinion on FTO's

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Rallikart, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Rallikart

Rallikart New Member

Hey all,
    Now, by looking at everyones location, a fair few of you live in the states. I live in Austalia, and was looking into importing an FTO from Jap, I was wondering if there's many getting around in America... I know they're not ultra quick (Apparently they run 15's, they're 200hp to the Fly, which im guessing translates down to about 150 to the wheels.) The closest thing I can compare them to to what you guys get over there are Eclipses (which we dont get over here either) FTO's are a 2L V6 Mivec.... I was just wanting to get opinions from outside, and any recommendations you guys could make for the same price would be appreciated. (FTO's are about 17 grand AUD which is about...11 Grand US???)

2. Turbo Tim

Turbo Tim New Member

Better than lancers with bonnet scoops :p

Na really, pretty cool car. Should talk to lanee or On Boost or whatever as he seems to get around in them a fair bit.

Guess it depends how far you want to go with it hey.
    Best bet would be to drive one and get an idea of how they go hey.

3. Rallikart

Rallikart New Member

Oi, Tim, Small world. Fancy seeing you on here. Yeah, anyways, I was hoping Lanee was gonna come on the cruise cause he told me his parents own 2... One Mivec, one non mivec, but he didnt show. But yeah, i talk to lanee on MSN every now and again, so hopefully he'll take me for a spin in the MIVEC. But for now, Im left with the 'Scooped Lancer'....

4. Turbo Tim

Turbo Tim New Member

Yeah there are a few of us getting around these ways hey.

Probably try and drive one before you full commit though hey.

They go alright, but not as ballsy as some of the other imports. I remember having a bit of a highway run against one day, bit of fun :)

Definately go the mivec though, seems like everything else is a bit of a compromise. They look decent so you want to be able to back it up! Nothing being the slowest base model.

I still reckon test drive some cars and find what you like hey.

5. Seeker

Seeker Brofessional OT Supporter

I'm in the US, so I know a bit about the Eclipse. We don't have the FTO here at all. The FTO might be best compared to the Eclipse GS-T, since they are both front drive. The GSX model was awd, fyi.
    As far as power, the advantage goes to the Eclipse. The FTO just doesn't have the turbocharged torque of the Eclipse. However, the FTO probably has the advantage in the turns.

6. overcast

overcast Guest

none of the us model mitsubishis came w/ mivec motors did they?

7. Seeker

Seeker Brofessional OT Supporter

No, I don't think we got any Mivec engines in the States.

You know, now that our Eclipse has turned into a bloated V6 cruiser, maybe it's time we got an FTO.

8. overcast

overcast Guest

the fto would be a good replacement for the eclipse, cause from the spy shots i've seen its only getting bigger and heavier.

9. actually the 03 GTS eclipse has mivec. It adds a whole 10hp from the regualr non mivec.

10. turbodiamonds95

turbodiamonds95 tapout,chokeout or knockout

no actually all the 03's have is half a point higher compression to the GT..the US never got the mivec motor

11. hoax

hoax Guest

I think FTO's are butt ugly.

my 2 cents.

12. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

They are uglier than an Eclipse and they are all FWD. At least you can get AWD with an Eclipse or an EVO. Its your money but I would pass on the FTO.

13. MrPo

MrPo Guest

FTOs are ok.
    But as with most Mivecs they are very expensive to tune once pass a certain point.
    In the UK they have picked up what is known as a "hairdressers" image.

Po